Thursday, August 20, 2009

Another day, another fish...

Tonight the ocean was like glass again, so it was a good night to take Barry's boat out for some more fishing. After two nights in a row of Barry asking us to go fishing, but being busy with cake making or being lazy, we decided to join him. We headed over to our new favourite fishing hole, by the airport hangar. Some of us fished from one bank, while the others went across the stream to the other side.

It wasn't long before I caught the first fish, which was just a little one... so I threw it back. And when I say "I," I mean Deon... because I do not involve myself with getting fish off of hooks. Over the next two hours, between the five of us fishing, we caught 18 fish to take home, and let many, many go. A few sneaky fish stole some of our lures, while other huge fish somehow unhooked themselves. And, one of Deon's managed to escape off his lure, only to beach himself on a little island- Deon went out and helped him get away back into the water. That fish was a fighter and deserved a second chance!



So, we kept reeling them in, and both Deon and I ended up with similar sized "big catches." First, Deon reeled in a monster fish that was probably three feet long, and we weighed it to be around 14 pounds. Soon after, I reeled in what must have been its twin, weighing in at 13 pounds. Of course we kept those!





The night was nice and sunny, and the water not too cold by Arctic standards, so Patti told Deon she'd pay him $5 to swim across the creek. Barry upped the anti to $20, and Deon was in there like a flash. So he swam over, earned his twenty and then swam back. Soon after, I got thirsty, so Barry attempted to throw over a can of pop, which didn't quite make it... so back into the water went Deon. Can't keep him out of the water. (His mother warned me of that long ago...!)



Of course, it wouldn't be a night of fishing if I hadn't lost at least one lure by snagging it on the bottom. A trip to Bass Pro Shops will definitely be in store... Or perhaps a trip to Dollarama for me to see if they have any affordable lures for me to lose! hah.

When we came home, Deon gutted and cleaned the two huge fish and put them in the freezer. If we had a bigger freezer, I could see how we could easily stock up fish to last us throughout the winter, as a good source of free meat. However, we only have our fridge freezer, so there's no room for extras!

For your interest- here's a picture of a plane getting ready for takeoff on the Tuk runway. It is going to turn around and take off the other way... but as you can see, the runway comes awful close to the ocean!




Home sweet Tuk...

No comments:

Post a Comment