Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Seriously Northern" quilting patterns...

On a flight back from the south a little while back, I was reading "Up Here" magazine (which I love, love love), and stumbled across the "Seriously Northern" quilting patterns. I had always had an interest in working on a felt wallhanging like so many people do up here, but had no idea where to start freehand, and didn't think I could acquire a pattern locally. So, it was just my luck that these patterns were available for a small fee, from Canadian North! The proceeds from the sale of the patterns go to 'the Canadian North Quilters, a Yellowknife based quilting group that travel around the north, helping people communicate through crafts.'

This week I finished my first one, a block depicting some northerners and an igloo. My next will be a block featuring some happy looking muskox and another northerner. I'm really enjoying the stitching and exercising the creative side of my brain after long days at work, so I might just continue on with some more blocks throughout the upcoming winter! I'm thinking a series including the igloo, muskox, blanket toss, dog sledding and ice fishing would hang nicely in a row behind the couch.

Here they are:


A typical winter scene, with northern lights in the background. Complete!


Don't these muskox look happy? A month or so of stitching ahead for sure!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, those are amazing! How do you order these patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool! Are you selling them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt patterns are available here:

    http://www.cdn-north.com/quilt.asp

    I'm not planning on selling these ones... but maybe once I get a bit more practice, and when winter is upon us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I have seen similar crafts for sale at the Gallery of the Midnight Sun in Yellowknife. They seem to go fast!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete