Disclaimer: I don't want this to come off as a rant about Northern service. It most certainly is not- there is plenty of good customer service in the North (Caribou Cafe, Mackenzie Hotel front desk, to name a few of my favourites). I have found that customer service is just not what it used to be (wow, I must be getting old!). When I got my first after-school job at the grocery store, we were taught several things including that the customer is always right, and that it is your job as a customer service person to, well, provide customer service! I find that more and more frequently it is up to the customer to make sure that the cashier/salesperson/waitress, etc. does their job properly, and achieves the customer's desired end result. But, I digress... this is a blog posting about my experience today.
My night began surprisingly, splendidly, unbelievably, extremely well. Nameless airline was not only on-time, but early! We departed and arrived about 20 minutes early, which believe me, next to never, happens. With my feet on solid ground, my night was off to a great start!
Despite it being a long, tedious day of work, I thought I might as well enjoy the splendors Inuvik has to offer. I went to the library and got a movie and signed out a few books to read while in Paulatuk (Deon will return them next week when he's down for a meeting). I skipped my usual stop into the Northern to avoid the same old, same old, and headed to the hotel gym. Fresh air, full cable TV access, and the gym to myself, life was good. Not even the motion-detector lights that turn off every three minutes, meaning you have to hop off the elliptical to trigger the sensor so that the light turns back on, could get me down!
Ahhhh... but a good workout always makes me hungry! So, I thought I'd head to my *favourite* nameless restaurant. The same restaurant where, if they run out of corn chips for the nacho platter, they think, "Hey, they'll never notice if we try to pass off some Zesty Doritos!" (which I'm sure they ran across to the Northern to purchase, since it took about 30 minutes to prepare- wait, that's the typical delivery time, who am I kidding?) Or the time we ordered an appetizer (spinach dip and pita points) along with our entrees, and the waitress walked out with the entrees, while obviously sensing the confused looks on our faces. When asked about our appetizer, she said "You didn't get your appetizer? Don't worry, I'll take that off your bill!" Uhhhh... thanks, I guess that is fair, since I didn't get what I ordered! And these are just two of many, many, many experiences that make dining at nameless restaurant hit-or-miss at best.
Tonight however, was the epitome of annoying-ness. I had just finished at the gym, and rushed down to order. I ordered what I believe to be the healthiest choice on the menu, and one of my favourites, hummus with pita points. Simple recipe- chick peas, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil will do the trick... pretty hard to mess up! Thirty minutes later, my dinner arrived (pffft... I wasn't worried about the time, I'm used to the wait! Just bring a magazine, and you're set!). So, I paid, and took it up to my room to eat while watching my library-movie. I picked the hummus bowl out of my bag, and it felt a little cold to the touch. This didn't seem good. I stuck my finger right down into the middle and hit frozen hummus. Shucks. Thank goodness for the in-room microwave. With the hummus all thawed out, I dug in, spreading it all over my soggy ("toasted") pita point. Then I bit into what was some of the most putrid hummus ever.
Even this didn't really bother me. After all, returning a meal that doesn't taste right should be no sweat, right? I took the meal back to nameless restaurant, and told them my problem. Without looking at me or saying a word, the girl started punching things into her cash register, pulled out some cash, and offered it to me. I thought, "wow, what prompt and efficient service." Then I asked if maybe I could order something else... "Sorry, kitchen's closed." (This, after not 2 hours ago I had asked what time the kitchen was open to and was told 10pm... I asked for a new meal at 9:55pm). So I said "Well, I guess I'm outta luck for dinner tonight."... "Yep."
Luckily, I had some food stashed in my suitcase which I intended to eat in Paulatuk, so dinner was some KD in a cup.
If anyone at Caribou Cafe is listening.... PLEASE STAY OPEN LATER!!! I need your tasty Greek Salad that never ever ever disappoints!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment