I've been feeling a bit off lately... perhaps overwhelmed by work (doing two people's jobs in the normal amount of work hours), perhaps a bit annoyed that the sun is back, and is out in full force, reminding me that soon it won't be setting at all (sunset is at around 10:30pm now), or perhaps a bit drained from this King and Queen competition (knowing that we likely won't win first prize).
I sat down tonight with my latest issue of Toronto Life, which always satiates my desire for a little "taste of home." There was an article in the magazine about Sheldon Levy, the current President of Ryerson- the university where I did my undergrad and masters degrees. I noticed myself smiling as I read through the article. I have always, always been proud to have chosen Ryerson for my education, and I have always been proud of the changes and growth that have occurred since I started there back in 2002. In fact, reading this article, I felt a bit "old"- reading about the new programs that are offered, ensuring that Ryerson remains a leader of education in the latest technologies.
However, as I was reading the article, I felt like I was being slapped in the face, like I was receiving a wake-up call. The point of the article was that for President Levy, no idea is too grand, no idea is too unattainable. I have always liked this type of attitude, and I have always strived to have such an attitude. But recently, I haven't had the time, or energy to worry about dreaming big. And, this is something that I have always done.
The Toronto Life article ended with a quotation that really resounded with me. It says, "Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood."
So, it's time to stop being discouraged when there are a hundred little fires in my work inbox that need to be put out each day, or when only a few people show up to my fundraising events, or when my beads just don't look that straight on the slippers I'm working on.
In the past, I've always reserved time for dreaming up the future, and then working on making it a reality. Sometimes the schemes seem a bit far-fecthed and hair-brained at first (plotting to win favour to go on exhange to Manchester, collecting enough garbage and pop cans to pay for a trip to the Dominican, deciding that the best "first job" would be in the Arctic Circle, to name a few). But, they always work out. It's time to get back to making plans- plans that reach beyond the end of the day, or week, or month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment