In an attempt to regularize the blog and my blog postings, I'm going to try to do different themed postings each day of the week. Obviously one thing we have a lot of time for here in the north is cooking... so I figured some days should be devoted to sharing the good (and bad) recipes that we've found, tried and think other people should know about! So we'll start with "Soupy Sundays." I think that soups are the easiest thing to make, and they're great because they spin out for lunches for at least a couple of days. Makes things nice and easy!
I'll start with a soup recipe that I have made before, and that I just made the other night when we were having asparagus chicken (I'll save that recipe for another time- it's a must-try as well) for dinner. This is called Onion Mushroom Soup, and is from Canadian Living Magazine.
----------
Onion Mushroom Soup
Ingredients
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
5 cups (1.25 L) thinly sliced onions, (about 2 large)
1 large clove garlic, sliced
2 tsp (10 mL) packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced small mushrooms
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1/3 cup (75 mL) dry sherry or wine
4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced beef broth or vegetable broth
Preparation:
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, sugar, thyme and bay leaf, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and starting to brown, about
20 minutes.
Add mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add sherry; cook, scraping up browned bits, until no liquid remains.
Add broth and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
----------
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of this one! The Canadian Living Recipe calls for the soup to be served with french bread covered in cheese. In an attempt to cut calories, we don't do the bread with cheese.
Enjoy! Next week I'll share the Lazy Turkey Jerky Soup!
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds good. I think I'm going to try this tonight. I have some mushrooms that need to be eaten.
ReplyDeleteMmmmmmm. So good.
ReplyDelete