This weekend I was more than happy when Barry called to ask if I wanted to go on the ice road with them to Inuvik, where they had to pick up his truck and get some groceries at the same time. Despite what is always a long drive (2.5 hours each way), it is totally worth it, for several reasons: (1) Fending off cabin fever by getting out of town for the day; (2) Having someone cook lunch or dinner for you at a restaurant; (3) Restocking the freezer and fridge; (4) The potential to see something cool along the way.
It definitely was nice to get out of Tuk for the day. Deon didn't feel like coming because he'd already been on the ice road several times this week to go to Inuvik and Aklavik for meetings, so he was more than happy to stay home (and cook supper for when I got back!)
We ate lunch at Tonimoes in Inuvik, which was... okay. At least I didn't have to cook for myself, right? I swear the weekend chefs in that place are not the same as the weekday ones... the food always seems a bit off on the weekends! I'm not sure you can call it a "veggie wrap" if the ends aren't tucked in, and everything falls out the end. Maybe they should rename it the "veggie roll?"
We managed to go to most of the stores in Inuvik, and pick up some foods (and drinks) that are unavailable in Tuk. My treasures included:
-4kg box of chicken breasts ($48.77- the same amount would cost $67.99 in Tuk)
-2 boxes of frozen French onion soup (for our French nights when we don't feel doing a lot of prep- the soup goes nicely with a chicken cordon bleu from the freezer)
-3 twleve packs of (diet) pop ($9.99 vs $15.99 in Tuk)
-1 sirloin tip roast (~$20- nice beef is hard to come by in Tuk!)
-various fresh produce including asparagus, "Grapples" (apples that taste like grapes), fresh cilantro (YAY!)
-1 box of red wine (who cares about class when you can have practicality?)
-2 bottles of Yellowtail Bubbles (which are just begging to be popped open!)
Between my shopping yesterday, and Deon's earlier in the week, I think we're set for a little while now in terms of having some "different" things in the house to eat and drink. Having the new freezer that we ordered from Costco (well, the second one- the first one arrived broken) really helps to allow us to hoard food for when the ice road closes. Before the ice road opened this year, I was starting to get a *little* bored of chicken breasts and pork chops, and my creativity was really wearing thin... Now we've got enough to have variety for the next little while!
Sunday, January 30, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment