Monday, February 28, 2011

Crafting...

Before we get to the pictures that everyone's waiting for, those from the great blizzard of Tuktoyaktuk, here are some pictures of the Christmas wallhanging I've been working on (irregularly) over the last 2 weeks.

I decided I should pull out my sewing machine, and try a wallhanging pattern from a book that I received in my stocking 2 Christmases ago. I also have quite a bit of Christmas material just waiting to be used, so it was the perfect combination of inspiration.

I decided on something very simple for my first go at sewing in quite a while, since keeping everything square and straight is not my forte, and I become easily frustrated.

I decided on a simple heart applique pattern, which were wonder-undered on to some sparkly ivory coloured squares, and then appliqued by my sewing machine. I then used some driftwood to create a dowel, and some yarn to braid a string with which to hang the wall hanging.

I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet- it turned out surprisingly well, and surprisingly straight and neat and tidy- I guess I used my patience with this one to make sure it was just right. I might use it for a raffle item for King and Queen, or perhaps it will make a nice gift. It's not really my style, but I still enjoyed the process of making it.

I might do another one with some of the jewel box scrap fabric that my Grams gave me a while ago... it would be more of an all-season wall hanging.



No comments:

Post a Comment