Friday, September 10, 2010

The lucky horseshoe strikes again...

Every once in a blue moon some girls here get together for girls night, and usually that includes playing a bit of TV bingo (and snacks, and wine). Of course we really don't play to win, because none of us have ever won, and we don't take it too seriously. In fact, most of the time I'm sure I miss a number or two, due to the fact that we're chatting, or more often, complaining about how we never win.


Dabbing away!


Tonight, just as we were on the final game for "Go-Go", where you have to get "blackout" (which means all of the squares on your card have to be filled in), I knew that it was getting close to the time when someone would call in for bingo. So, as I usually do, I said "boy do I ever hate bingo, I never win." Then I took an inventory of my cards (you have 12 cards in front of you to keep track of), I saw that a few of them were only 2 off, and one was 1 off. But so were probably 100 other people in Tuk, including some of the girls at girls night.

However, when the next number popped out of the machine, I could vaguely make it out on the fuzzy TV screen, and it definitely looked like an "I," but I couldn't tell if it was 18 or 19, both of which hadn't been called. And I needed I 19, so surely the number to be called next was I 18... WRONG. It was I 19, so I figured I had bingo... So we managed to find the phone, and call in to the TV station. Of course, being the casual players that we are, we didn't have the number on speed dial, or redial, so it took a minute. When I called in and Dorothy answered, I said "It's Emily, and I think I have bingo? What am I supposed to do?" So we went through, and verified all of the numbers, all the while the girls are screaming, hooting and hollering in the background. So much so, Dorothy called Honey over to listen to all of the noise on the phone... apparently it's unusual for someone to be excited about winning bingo, since people play here 4 times a week, and often have 36 cards on the go at a time!

So after that, there was still "Share the Wealth" bingo to play, but none of us could really pay attention because we were too excited about my winnings. So I called Deon, and he came over to girls night (a bit to his dismay), to act as my escort over to the bingo station to pick up my cash- $1,000, and to walk me back to girls night with it.


Here I am, picking up my prize money
!


At any rate, there you have it, the story of the return of my lucky horseshoe. I didn't really think it had left- I mean, I haven't been doing much gambling lately anyway! But of all the prizes to be won this evening (I think there are 6 cash prizes in total), I won the biggest one, and didn't even have to split it with anyone!

BINGO!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS EMILY...BUT PLEASE DO NOT GET INTO THE HABBIT OF "GAMBLING" VERY CATCHY...NOT DID YOU GET THE LITTLE ONE BUT THE BIG ONE..WELL DONE . NO DOUBT YOU SHARE IT WITH DEON... RENEW CONGRATULATIONS. EMP..LONDON...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take that horseshoe outta ur butt! Deon may need to for fishing! lol

    ReplyDelete