Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's midnight in Tuk...



I can hear children laughing, yelling, outside playing with their friends. I look out the window and see a man walk by, coming home from somewhere, and a lady greets him, saying "hello" from her front porch. The seagulls are hooting and hollering, as they hang suspended in the sky... A dog lets out another long, never-ending howl.

The sun beams in on me, bathing the couch in sunlight, like the 2pm sun I used to know. If I didn't have a watch, it may as well be 2pm. No one else seems to realize that it is midnight in Tuk. The sun will continue nourishing the earth, energizing the people, and causing me to feel off kilter for the next few months. And for the next few months, I'll yearn for darkness... the chance to finally feel like I can sleep.

Last night, I had to sleep in the everlasting daylight. The contractors were not quite finished putting in our new windows, and there was no point in covering the bedroom window, only to uncover it the very next morning. Instead, I found rest underneath a makeshift sleeping mask of fabric tied around my head. Maybe I'm crazy, but I needed my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment