Of course, being the small one, I got to sit in the back with all of the gear. We went out towards Husky Lakes, which is not typically done at this time of year when skidoos aren't quite in season (at least in Tuk, anyway- not many people use their skidoos on bare land here, unlike in Aklavik). The ride was perhaps more bumpy than the skidoos in Aklavik the week before, and I have a plethora of small bruises to prove it.
We travelled with four other people who also had an Argo, and the goal was to find some lake trout in a large lake that Barry and Deon had scouted out the week before. My goal was to pick lots and lots of berries.
Upon our travels, since there was snow on the ground, we came across several types of animal tracks including moose, caribou and a grizzly with two cubs. Here is a closeup of the grizzly paw:
Barry estimated that the bear had crossed the path in the morning, and we were out there at around 5pm. A flat tire and a few pit stops later, we finally made it to the lake. The boys all got out their fishing poles, and fished with no success, while I picked several bags of cranberries, crowberries and ukpiks! I can cross off one of my "to-dos" for the upcoming year, as I have finally tasted ukpiks.
It started to get dark, so we headed back towards town, and more and more snow started to fall. The ride was bumpy, but the guys made it fun by having a snowball fight between the two Argos. I mostly just ducked my head. We finally made it back to town at 11:30pm, and a hot shower was needed to recover from the cold!
No comments:
Post a Comment