Wednesday, September 9, 2009

An afternoon out...

Today was our annual staff outing for the office, which included going out on the land to participate in some traditional and non-traditional activities. Several of us took our fishing poles, and a few people caught fish... however, I spent my time picking berries. The berries are out in full force here right now. Currently there are crowberries out, which look like little blueberries, only darker in colour. The cranberries are also coming out, but will need another week or so to ripen.

With Deon's help, I was able to pick about 3.5 pounds of berries with maybe half an hour of trying. This equated to about 10 cups of berries, which I froze, and then another cup that I added to some "healthy bannock" that I made based on a recipe I obtained at the Petroleum Show.


Our haul of berries from the land.


A closeup of the crowberries.

Of course, a trip out onto the land wouldn't be normal if there wasn't a little excitement. All was well, and we were enjoying our time around a campfire, eating hotdogs and marshmallows, when Barry looked up and noticed something a little alarming- the boat had become dislodged from the shore, and had floated across the creek to the other shore. Some people were worried, but I knew exactly how it would eventually get back to us... We had our faithful swimmer Deon, who is by now, used to rescuing boats in many situations, and is always willing to take a frosty dip in the water. So, Deon waded across the stream, and surprisingly only got wet from the waste down, and rescued the boat. Sorry to disappoint, but there are no pictures of the event!

No comments:

Post a Comment