The following is one of many not-so-amusing stories about my favourite northern airline. I might have to make this a regular segment, and now regret the fact that I haven't documented past incidents!
This evening I was in the airport waiting for my flight home. The skies were blue, my previous flight was beautiful, there seemed to be nothing holding us back.
Until of course, at 5pm I look out the window and see the plane that had just been loaded with our luggage being towed off the runway by an airport vehicle. My mind tells me this is not a good sign, but it should be an easy fix. Loading the bags onto a different plane couldn't take that long, could it?
Much to my satisfaction, a new plane was out on the tarmac and loaded up in record time. 15 minutes late on a 25 minute flight isn't that bad, I decide.
But wait... Did anyone check if this new plane had fuel? That's right, my plane, that is only 15 minutes late now sat on the runway with no means of getting me home. Now, one would think this would also be an easy fix, non? Guess not, especially if the guy who runs the fuel truck already went home for the night.
About 1/2 an hour later I sit there watching the little plane on the tarmac being fueled up. Getting hungry for the dinner that is waiting on the table at home, I think to myself that we should be on our way momentarily.
But who knew... that fuel guy is a sneaky guy. Apparently he fueled up so fast that the pilots (who may or may not have been eating cookies in an office at the time) didn't notice that the plane had been fueled up and ready to go. For.another.15. minutes.
Just as I was about ready to have a word with them, some other ladies from the flight chirped "What are we waiting for?" "To fuel up the plane!" said one of the pilots. "What was that fuel guy doing out there?" "Oh... I guess we're ready to go."
And so, I arrived home *almost* on schedule, especially by above mentioned airline's timelines.
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, sounds like my joyous events on nameless airline. When I first moved to the north, my flight from Iqaluit to my community was delayed by 8 hours because 1. there was no pilot, 2. there was no plane once they finally found a pilot. 3. then we went back into no pilot but had a plane. 4. Finally after a lot of cranky people getting very cranky at nameless airline, they finally got their act together and managed to have both plane and pilot at the same place at the same time. The joys of flying with nameless airline!
ReplyDelete