Friday, May 8, 2009

Welcome to my Garden...

One might think that Arctic gardening would be difficult, if not impossible. And I must say, when I started my plants in February, I didn't have much faith that they would someday flourish. I knew one thing I would definitely miss by moving up to the Arctic was taking care of my plentiful flowers (especially my dear orchids). However, as of lately with nearly 24 hours of daylight, and dutiful watering on our behalf, my plants are coming along very nicely. Soon enough I'll have a harvest of fresh herbs and vegetables (mind you, it might be enough for only one meal).


The windowsill, aka my garden.


At this rate, I might have a pepper by October!


My herb garden that Deon picked up for me for a pretty penny in Iqaluit. Rosemary, Basil, Cilantro and Chives. Rosemary is being a bit stubborn.


Some "just in case" tomatoes, I planted after my other tomato plant had it's unfortunate *incident.*


My almost fully grown cherry tomato plant. It might produce some tomatoes this month by the looks of things!


And... My hydrangea that was waiting for me upon my return from Ulukhaktok. An arm and a leg from Northern, but Deon knows how much I appreciate a living flower! Plus it really did need rescuing... the remainder of them now lie dead on the store's shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment