Monday, October 10, 2011

Cakes as of late...

When summer ended, I decided it was time to start making some cakes again. So, I put a quick post on facebook saying that I was back in the cake business, and the orders have once again started flowing in. So far I've only been able to complete three, and have had to turn down quite a few more because I've been out of town for work a lot over the last few months.

I have a repeat customer with 5 (soon to be 6) kids, and the youngest two are fond of my cakes. The littlest one asked for a Ben10 Humungousaur cake- I had no clue what that was. However, I looked it up online and made a template and was able to do an okay job of it!



I then had to do an Ariel cake, from the Little Mermaid for 4 year old Maizlyn. It was easy to do because her mom had the pan, but the red was a little hard to make with the Wilton no-taste red paste. It takes about 1/2 a pot of paste to make a good 2 cups of red icing. In retrospect, I should have done the black outlines a bit better, but I was a bit out of practice!



Finally, I had another repeat customer ask for another cake with roses for her mother's birthday. This year she's 75. Not sure I like the colour scheme on this one, but it turned out okay. It was supposed to be a basket with pink and red flowers in it... should have picked a different colour for the basket.



Up next, hopefully a christening cake. Had to turn down a baby shower cake and a wedding cake due to work travel...

No comments:

Post a Comment