Sunday, April 19, 2009

It's Beluga Jamboree Time!

Tuk is alive and moving with the onset of the annual Beluga Jamboree. Inuvik's Musktrat Jamboree and Aklavik's Mad Trapper Jamboree are done, and now it's Tuk's turn. There are many people from out of town who have come in via the ice road (which is scheduled to close as soon as Jamboree is done).


This is where the action happens- on the harbour which has been plowed out to make a parking lot and vendor area.



Jamboree is Tuk's biggest event of the year, and lasts for 4 days. Interesting to note is the fact that this year the Hamlet Council voted to have prohibition from the Tuesday before Jamboree until Jamboree is complete. From what I've heard, this seems to be working well. This means that there is a greater police presence in town from Inuvik this weekend, and they are definitely doing their duty. They're pulling people over for speeding in town (What is the speed limit?) Seatbelts? (No one in Tuk wears a seatbelt) Driver's license? (Who needs a driver's license?) Furthermore, anyone caught intoxicated or drinking anywhere in town this weekend will get a $2,000 fine and/or 30 days in jail. I'd best be on my best behaviour this weekend!

Now on to the fun stuff. Jamboree kicked off with a feast (no traditional foods were present unfortunately...) and some traditional drum dancing. Of course I forgot to bring my camera.

Saturday afternoon some friends and I went down to the harbour to see the games that were going on. Jamboree games include snowmobile races, log sawing, needle threading, toboggan pull, piggy back race, harpoon throw, dizzy stick, nail drive, and three legged race. Some of these may sound easy or juvenile, however in -30 and strong winds they take some effort to complete!

Christine and I participated in the needle threading race:


Yep, that's us with the television camera in our faces...


We placed 4th...

And, last night I went to Kiti hall with my friend Riz to watch the jigging contest. I do love the fiddle music and watching the jigging.


Happy Jamboree!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love Spring and all the Northern festivals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see photos of the event!

    ReplyDelete