Saturday, April 25, 2009

Great Northern Arts...

The north is home to many talented artists including carvers, painters, amongst others. Deon and I have acquired a nice little collection from across the north while we've been up here, and I thought I'd share the arts and crafts of the north with everyone at home.

1. Seal Packing Doll Ulukhaktok, Northwest Territories



This little lady is representative of the way in which the Inuit carry their babies- in their hoods. The seals are made of ring-seal fur, and the parky is embroidered in great detail.

2. Carved Mobile Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories



This mobile was carved by a local here in Tuk, and features an inukshuk, ulu, polar bear, beluga and Inuit face, all hanging from a piece of caribou antler. This is one of my favourites!

3. Walrus Business Card Holder Iqaluit, Nunavut



Deon picked up this walrus when on business in Iqaluit. It is a carving that is practical for sure.

4. Polar Bear and Seal on Ice Iqaluit, Nunavut



This carving was given to Deon by the NWB before he left. His co-workers signed the bottom of the ice as a nice memory for Deon in the future.

5. Dancing Polar Bear Iqaluit, Nunavut





This is our heaviest, and second biggest carving- the dancing polar bear. I find it amazing that a carver could judge the right way to carve the bear such that it can stand on one paw alone, especially considering how heavy it is, and that it originated from one block of stone.

6. Muskox on Whale Bone Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories



You've seen this one before, but it's still one of my favourites, especially since it was such a good deal! It is also the largest carving we have at the moment, and I think fairly creative- the muskox is made of muskox horn. Furthermore, from what I've heard, whale bone carvings are fairly rare, and I think I'm lucky to have found this one.

7. Paintings on Canvas Iqaluit, Nunavut



Deon picked up these paintings in Iqaluit, and they were also a great deal. I like their unique size and shape, and that the pictures tell a story of people living on the land. I was glad to find the perfect frames for them at Walmart in YK.

8. Sheared Beaver Mitts Inuvik, Northwest Territories



Sort of hard to see, but these are my favourite mitts- sheared beaver is some of the softest fur I've ever felt. They are perfect for cold, windy days outdoors as you can cover your face with the beaver fur and block the wind.

There are a few more carvings and things that we have back in Ontario, and of course our collection here will continue to grow! Can't wait for the Great Northern Arts Festival in Inuvik this summer.

2 comments:

  1. You ARE very lucky to have such beautiful pieces. Did M Taylor from Tuk make the mobile? I love the muskox/whalebone piece. It is spectacular. The packing seal is different. I have a collection of them and none of mine are seal they are all duffle. Most of mine also came from Ulahaytuk tho originally they were made in Taloyuak (Spences Bay, I think I have the new name right)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a Maryann Taylor mobile. The family are great carvers :)

    ReplyDelete