Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The moment we've been waiting all winter for...

The rumors were flying around town, the big event would happen this week. Word had it that he was in Inuvik last week... which meant that just maybe, he'd show up in Tuk. I was sitting at my desk at work this afternoon when my phone rang, and it was my friend, who had heard from a friend that it was true... the Fruit Man was in town!!

I called my boss, asked for some time off, and ran out the door with my shopping bag in hand. Of course, I first had to stop at the grocery store to get some money, since for the last two weeks our long distance has been out, and thus the cash machines have not had connectivity, and thus no one in town has any money left. Luckily the long distance came back yesterday, so I don't have to scrounge in my jacket pockets for any last remaining coinage (I think they were pretty much empty after Sunday, when I was able to round up ~$13 in change).

For those who don't know, the Fruit Man is a man who drives his tractor trailer up to the north from his home in Vancouver, via the Dempster Highway. He stops in Inuvik, and if he has anything left, ventures up the ice road to Tuk.

The Fruit Man usually has a good selection of fruit, veggies, and club packs of other essential items. I'm thinking he shops at Costco, marks the stuff up a bit, and sells it to us. The best part is, the food is usually fresher than when we get it from the stores in Tuk, and there is often better selection. I don't really think about cost anymore when buying food, after experiencing the out-of-control prices up here, but another bonus of the Fruit Man is that the stuff is (relatively) cheap!

Today I bought the following items, for the total cost of $56:

-1 cucumber
-2 leeks
-1 mango
-2 Asian pears
-1 red pepper
-2 bunches of cilantro
-1 quart of strawberries
-1 cooking onion
-1 red onion
-4 tomatoes
-3 limes
-1 lemon
-2L of extra virgin olive oil

This might seem like a short list for over $50, but when you compare the cost of 2L of olive oil at the local grocery store for $60, then my purchases today were a steal! Another cost comparison- strawberries at the Northern store recently = $12.99. Strawberries from the Fruit Man = $5. With bargains like that, how couldn't I 'endulge?'

Looking forward to some good cooking, and tasty snacking... awaiting the Fruit Man's return 3 weeks from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment