Monday, June 15, 2009

Barren-ground grizzly place...

Deon and I just finished several days of work in Aklavik, doing some gravel reconnaissance. One of my favourite parts of my job is the fact that we get the chance to go out on the land, with some really nice local people, as well as travel all over the region for different initiatives.

Aklavik is one of my favourite communities in the ISR, for several reasons (although I really like all of the communities I've been to). The people are so kind and so friendly. Everyone is always willing to help, and lots of people will greet me throughout town, knowing who I am and who I work for. The innkeeper is the cutest lady I've ever met. She loves her job, and takes great pride in keeping the inn in order. There is also something about the town looks that really appeals to me. Perhaps it is the thick willows that border the streets, or the boardwalks that are necessary when the town floods in the spring, or maybe its location along the river...

And of course... there's the legacy of the Mad Trapper of Rat River.


And this cheesy cardboard cutout depicting the situation :p

I love this car! Who knew you could have a convertible in the north? (p.s. I'm pretty sure this car never came with a convertible option- they've cut the top off).



So, on Sunday we went out on the land to do some gravel sampling. We travelled with 4 locals, in their boat and visited about 6 sites approximately 30km from Aklavik. The morning was rainy and chilly, but by the afternoon it was warm and sunny. The scenery was beautiful, and we even saw some wildlife. We saw a moose, some caribou, lots of muskrat, and some bald eagles. And we are both now competent at a muskrat call (essentially sounds like kissing noises).


The banks of the Peel River.


A muskrat swimming towards our kissy muskrat calls.


Getting down to business.

No comments:

Post a Comment